NATION TIMES is a hub of daily headlines that affect our nation. Visit the main site and revisit this info page for updates and events about the website and its news services.


LINKS
NationTimes.net
NT Blog


RECENT
I just yanked the Yahoo! News RSS feed from Nation...
Known issues
It's Nation Time!


ARCHIVE


Saturday, February 10, 2007
WOW! Someone at NYTimes.com heard to me
Two days ago I submitted a scathing but well-informed error report to NYTimes.com's tech squad and whadayaknow, they fixed the problem in one day's time! Now Nation Times will get another great feed.

The whole idea behind my structuring Nation Times as I have has everything to do with maintaining a site that I don't actually have to maintain, y'know by hand. So I figured out how to automate its updates (for the most part). There was only one set of info that I couldn't access automatically, i.e keyword-based search results from NYTimes.com. So instead I setup NYTimes.com keyword-based email alerts. When I received those I'd post to del.icio.us and I setup that feed to update Nation Times with whatever news items I bookmarked. But I felt that that process still defeated my real purpose.

Then by chance two days ago I realized that I hadn't been looking for that info in the right spot. It turns out that NYTimes.com offers a Times Topic right along the lines of my keywords, complete with a feed URL and everything. So I got all excited thinking my last problem in life was solved, but then I noticed that the feed was displaying last week's news. So I got heated and sent in a detailed complaint (as all good consumers do) and to my pleasant surprise it looks like they fixed the thing at some time yesterday because I just checked it this morning and it's all up to date! So now Nation Times can get NYTimes.com feeds automatically and be a little better for it.

Of course I'll still keep the bookmark method intact, but that's intended for deliberate editor's picks, not some kind of pseudo-feed.

Labels: , ,