NATION TIMES is a hub of daily headlines that affect our nation. Visit the main site and revisit this info page for updates and events about the website and its news services.


LINKS
NationTimes.net
NT Blog


RECENT
Known issues
It's Nation Time!


ARCHIVE


Friday, February 09, 2007
I just yanked the Yahoo! News RSS feed from Nation Times
I am very hands-off with Nation Times content but I have monitored and monitored the Yahoo! feed for months and man, their news filter is just not sophisticated enough at all for my purposes. There is definitely such a thing as 'too much information' and that's what Yahoo! keyword-based news feeds are good for. Google's are a little better.

I kept seeing too many instances of non-news items slipping in there and quite often they'd even repeat two or three times as redundant posts. What Yahoo! grabs straight from PRWeb is usually the cause of the drama. I'm doing all I can to build a credible news resource here and this example from Yahoo! explains itself, shamefully. I checked Nation Times today just before going into a meeting about the abilities of RSS so I figured I might demo Nation Times as a good example. But I quickly decided against that when I saw this item above the fold:

"Breakthrough, Natural Hair Relaxer Makes It Easy for African-Americans to Achieve Loose, Soft Waves (PRWeb via Yahoo! News)"

Someone somewhere actually considered this newsworthy and Yahoo! filtered this right along with serious stuff. In fact, this embarassing item was right above something fed from Topix.net titled "Genetics linked to early births," so can't do the Yahoo! thing until Yahoo! can start doing their own thing a little better.

Labels: , ,